The holiday season is upon us. The smell of gingerbread wafting from the kitchen, pine needles strewn about the house from a feisty puppy, the sound of wrapping paper tearing under little hands and laughter from loved ones filling the house. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, I truly believe that!
But beyond the presents and ugly sweaters, the heart of the holiday season for me is spending time with family over good food! Cooking is my love language- nothing makes me happier than gifting a tin of homemade cookies or serving hot from the oven lasagna for my loved ones to enjoy. It brings me joy and I treasure the holiday season because of the extra time I have with my people.
My brother lives fifteen hours away from me now, but he didn’t always. We grew up in a small rural town in the house our parents built together and our grandmother was only a quick drive away. Mommom used to stop by the house every Thursday and take us in town to Britt’s Diner. We’d each enjoy a heaping plate of chicken & dumplings (their special on Thursdays) and catch up on what had happened since we last saw her at Sunday night dinner.
But over time the inevitable happened- we got older and so did she. Thursday chicken & dumpling meals together came to an end and my brother moved away a few years later. It’s been at least ten years since we’ve shared a meal of our favorite country dish and I’d love to do that this holiday season. I found a delicious crockpot recipe for chicken & dumplings that makes it an easy meal to make!
I especially love that this is a crockpot recipe and not a stove top recipe. It allows me to get up early, throw everything in and then spend the rest of the day and afternoon with my loved ones. It’s so crazy easy and takes less than ten minutes to prep! Also, one crockpot makes about ten servings so more for the whole family! Less fuss and more time to make memories together is a win-win for me!
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can (10.5 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of celery soup
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups of SChicken Broth
- 1 ½ cups of frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 can of refrigerated biscuits
- Add chopped onion into crockpot and top with chicken breasts
- In a small bowl combine cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, parsley, and pepper. Spread over chicken and top with chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 5 hours
- At approximately 3.5-4 hours of cook time roll out biscuits and cut into four strips or 8 small pieces. Add frozen vegetables, stir, and lay biscuit pieces on top.
- After 5 hours remove chicken, shred and return to crockpot. Stir lightly to break up dumplings.
My Mommom was a very special lady. She loved her family hard, especially her grandchildren. I think it’s only fitting that I make chicken & dumplings in her honor. I know she’d be proud and I’m so thankful for the opportunity to remember and honor her through loved ones and good food!
What is your favorite recipe to make and enjoy with your family around the holidays?