I meant to publish this post on my birthday last month, but here we are almost an entire month later and I’m just now hitting ‘publish’. It’s fitting for how frazzled 2020 is shaping up to be. Anyway, still great tips so here it is!
Happy Earth Day! Today is a very special day and I like to call it My bEARTHday. Not only is today important to stop and appreciate our planet and all of the wonderful things it gives to us, it’s also my birthday! This year it’s even bigger since I’m turning the big 3-0. To celebrate this my 30th birthday and Earth Day I’m sharing 30 CHANGES YOU CAN MAKE TO BE MORE GREEN!
These are easy changes you can make in your home and in your life that will go a long way. I’m sure you probably do over half of this list anyway, but it’s a great place to start and maybe there are some fresh new ideas to inspire change.
I will be taking my resuable coffee cup to Dunkin Donuts/Starbucks for my birthday coffee (didn’t happen because #COVID-19), I’ll be eating salad with my co-workers from our Salad Club set up which is VERY green (in more ways than one, also didn’t happen because #COVID-19) and I’ll be taking a nice long walk outside to appreciate where I live and the beauty around me!
2. Use reusable cup when you go out for coffee
3. Get a water filter and stop buying water bottles
4. Use a reusable straw at home and in public
6. Shop for clothing from sustainable brands
7. Use a reusable coffee filter
8. Buy a reusable razor instead of a disposable one
9. Take bags with you to the grocery store
10. Use a reusable water bottle ALWAYS and take it with you everywhere so you aren’t tempted to purchase a bottle
11. Shop at thrift stores
12. Carpool to work with friends/co-workers
13. Purchase food products that come in less plastic
14. Take reusable plates/silverware to work instead of using disposable every day
15. Eat less meat
16. Switch to LED lightbulbs
17. Say no to freebies at events! Do you really need that flyer, pamphlet, magnet or sticker?
18. Take a reusable bag when shopping or at the farmers market
19. Use reusable cotton rounds instead of disposable
20. Use bars of soap instead of body wash in a plastic container
21. Store your food in glass containers instead of plastic Tupperware
22. Place a rain barrel in your yard to use for watering plants
23. Swap sponges for composable dish scrubs or reusable cloths
24. Join a local CSA
25. Swap plastic baggies for reusable bags
26. Borrow when you can buy
27. Ride a bike or walk instead of driving
28. Take your lunch in a lunchbox instead of a single use bag
29. Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins
30. Do your research! Purchase from environmentally conscious brands when possible!